The Atlanta Fed's SouthPoint offers commentary and observations on various aspects of the region's economy.
The blog's authors include staff from the Atlanta Fed's Regional Economic Information Network and Public Affairs Department.
Postings are weekly.
Southeast Housing Update: Sales, Prices, Construction Activity Spring Forward
The Atlanta Fed conducts a monthly poll of Southeast broker and builder business contacts in an effort to detect emerging real estate trends prior to the release of official government and other statistics. According to the April 2014 Southeast Housing Market Poll results:
- There was a rebound in the number of brokers and builders reporting that home sales had increased from the year-earlier level.
- More brokers but fewer builders noted that buyer traffic had increased from a year earlier.
- Most brokers continued to indicate that inventory levels were down from the year-earlier level. The report from builders was split down the middle—half of respondents said that new home inventories increased from the year-earlier level, the other half noted new home inventory levels had fallen.
- The vast majority of brokers and builders continued to report that home prices increased from a year earlier.
- There was a rebound in the number of builders reporting that construction activity had increased from the year-earlier level.
To explore the latest poll results in more detail, please visit our Construction and Real Estate Survey results.
Note: April poll results are based on responses from 35 residential brokers and 26 homebuilders and were collected May 5–14, 2014. The housing poll's diffusion indexes are calculated as the percentage of total respondents reporting increases minus the percentage reporting declines. Positive values in the index indicate increased activity; negative values indicate decreased activity.
If you would like to participate in this poll, you may sign up here.
By Jessica Dill, senior economic research analyst in the Atlanta Fed's research department
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to blogs that reference Southeast Housing Update: Sales, Prices, Construction Activity Spring Forward:
The comments to this entry are closed.
- Southeastern Transportation: Tapping the Brakes?
- Southeast Manufacturing Slows in August
- It's Mostly Sunny in Florida
- Auto Manufacturing an Economic Boon for Tennessee
- Southeast Manufacturing Rebounded in June
- Southeast Manufacturing Dips in May
- Assessing the Impact of Oil Price Declines on Louisiana's Economy
- Seeking the Slack
- Middle Tennessee Consumer Confidence on the Rise
- Trials and Tribulations in Transportation
- November 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- Banks and banking
- Beige Book
- Business Cycles
- Commodity Prices
- Consumer Savings
- Data Releases
- Disaster recovery
- Economic conditions
- Economic Growth and Development
- Economic Indicators
- Fiscal Policy
- Gulf Coast
- Health Care
- Holiday Sales
- Labor Markets
- Local Economic Analysis and Research Network (LEARN)
- Monetary Policy
- Natural Disasters
- New Orleans
- Oil Spill
- Real Estate
- Sales Tax